This Christmas, I decided maybe my new style would be analogous colour schemes: outfits combining solid garments in pink, purple and red, for example, or lime, green and teal. I pinned a bunch of pictures, bought some solid fabric and got sewing. So far so good… except that was a month ago and I haven’t chosen to wear either garment since!
Up first is the Style Arc Adeline. I made this pattern in cherry red for my sister last year, and always liked how it had looked on me… so when I was trying to justify buying some cool textured purple fabric, I decided to make myself one.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this dress. It came together easily, fits properly, and I like the colour. I’m just not excited to wear it!
(Side note though – I wanted to show you the continued evolution of this raspberry boiled wool coat, which I sewed in 2016! It’s the Lisette pattern that everyone loved. It swamped me at first, so I put darts in the back.. then over the years I’ve trimmed fabric off the draped collar, and last year I shortened the sleeves. This year I cut the length from knee length to hip height, and think it’s finally perfect!)
Here’s a better look at the texture. This is a woven with slight stretch. I used to have a cardigan in this colour that I loved, and I’ve tried several times over the years to add this colour to my wardrobe palette, but it never quite seems to stick. I’m giving this dress to my sister, and I hope she enjoys it!
On to dress number two, which has bigger problems.
And by bigger, I mean: Turns out my waist is bigger than I thought, and it doesn’t fit!
This is the Jalie Nicole shift dress, which appealed to me because I love Jalie and I’d never noticed this pattern actually has darts. “Perfect!” I thought. “Let’s go buy fabric and sew it up!” I’d been lusting after the colour and slight texture on this rayon/poly/nylon blend ponte at my local Fabricland, so when I saw it was half off the $45/m price tag, I splurged and bought it. This was a classic case of “there’s nothing else I really want and that’s good enough” though – if there been a killer print I would never have spent so much on this dress!
My unpopular opinion is that I dislike ponte. Sure, it is easy to sew, but I swear it is the least flattering fabric on me! It always highlights every lump and rides up awkwardly because it is stiff. This particular ponte is really high quality, and it’s excellent ability to spring back into position makes this dress snugger than a low quality fabric would. (This would make amazing workout leggings because it would hold you in.) As is, I went up a size from my velvet Jalie Rachel dress sewn the same week, and it’s still too tight at the shoulders, sleeves, bust, waist and hips, aka. everywhere. If I ever make this dress again, I’ll need an full bust and full butt adjustment.
Basically, I spent about $50 making a dress that looks cute when I try to channel my mom in the 60’s, and will be too short, too tight, and too revealing of my undergarments when I sit or bend! I almost spent another $20 last night buying fabric to try to fix it with a panel, and then I decided to stop throwing good money after bad.
Here’s the one fun part though – I used some vintage metallic lace from a friend on the shoulders, and I think that it looks cool.
So there we have it. I guess I’m not destined to #DressLikeACrayon. I’ll stick to dressing like a box of crayons instead! I don’t regret trying something new though – I think experimentation keeps things fresh, and I learned that my normal style of large bold prints is much more me.