As 2018 draws to a close, it’s time for my annual blog series: The Sewing Top 5! It’s a chance to review what worked or didn’t this past year, celebrate the highlights, reflect, and set some goals for next year. I love this series, and I hope you join in the fun too!
I started this tradition back in 2012, and I think it was pretty much the first series, challenge or theme month that I’d ever hosted!
So, how can you take part?
On your Instagram, blog or other social media, post about your top 5 in each of the following categories:
- Top 5 Hits: The 5 most worn or most loved makes from your year!
- Top 5 Misses: Not everything works out, so this is your chance to share the 5 projects that didn’t turn out, never got worn, were accidentally destroyed in the wash, or were otherwise less successful!
- Top 5 Highlights: What else happened in your life besides sewing this year? Trips, accomplishments, sewing meet-ups, great memories, work, family, or whatever else stands out from your year.
- Top 5 Reflections: Looking back, what trends do you see in your sewing? What have you learned about yourself or changed about your attitude?
- Top 5 Goals: What would you like to do in 2018? This could be specific projects, skills, or attitudes you want to begin or continue to develop!
If you post on Instagram, please use the hashtag #sewingtop5 ! If you want to see examples of how you could organise your posts, you can check out mine for last year: hits, misses, highlights, reflections and goals.
The goal is to check in with ourselves about our sewing, and have a bit of fun celebrating how far we’ve come. It’s not a competition and there are no strict rules – join in however it works for you! For example:
- Lots of people combine several topics into one post. No problem!
- Maybe you don’t have 5 in some categories. Ok!
- Does one topic leave you uninspired? Skip it!
- Don’t have a blog, or don’t have time for blog posts? You can participate just on Instagram!
It’s a fun way to meet other sewists, so partway through December I’ll put up a post here where you can link your own Top 5 lists as you post! There is no firm deadline, but I usually start post my own posts in December and finish up in early January.
So, are you in???
(I’m still seeing double with the concussion, so this is word for word the same announcement post I did last year – I know you won’t mind! ❤ )
23 thoughts on “Announcing the #SewingTop5 for 2018!”
OK- given that I’ve sewn 2 things in 2018 (one with you!), I don’t think I’m eligible this year. 🙂 But I love this tradition and I can’t wait to see what others have to say. Also, giving you single-vision vibes hon. My seeing double is more metaphoric than actual, but I empathize and I’m thinking of you.xo
For you, let’s change it to the Making Top 5, including knitting, home reno choices, and your best recipes! 😉
OMG – you’ve thrown me a dare!! Sneaky!!! Off to consider in depth. If I throw in knitting, reno and food, I have a robust list!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I do wish your dbl vision would be over soon. Love your blog and ideas! You inspire me to keep searching for my style. Love yours.
Yay, I love this series! I’m feeling like I had a pretty good sewing year this time, probably my best since the kids came along, so it’ll be a lot of fun to look back and see what did and didn’t work. Especially the goals post!
Hi! This is a great challenge. I have a blog all set up and ready to go with no posts on it… Your challenge is inspiring me to write up my best 5 makes for the year. I have done the RTW fast this year and made so much, that needs to be celebrated, right? Thank you for all you do in the sewing community and get well soon. X
I’m in this year,although given I’ve only sewed 14 things I’m not going to have 5 in each category!
Hope you’re better soon.
I’m thinking of changing up my year end posts for the first time since starting my blog (a lot of my traditional year end wrap-ups just don’t really follow from my other posts anymore), and I think this might be a good structure for me to use! I haven’t sewn that much for myself this year, so I might stuff a lot of things into a single blog post (or maybe I’ll use instagram…. haven’t decided yet), but I definitely want to participate! Probably won’t be doing posts until closer to New Year’s (I still have 3 weeks to maybe get some sewing done…), but I’ll be thinking about these topics for sure.
Hope you feel better soon. Concussions are tricky business, so better safe than sorry. Take care of yourself, and hopefully you will be back up to speed soon!
I’m responding to your post rather late – life! – so I hope you’re feeling rather better by now. I’ve sewn very little this year but might participate in part.