- Continue being more badass. This was one of my goals last year, and I am still working on it. One of my coworkers and I talk about being a “cat” or a “dog” in life – cats are confident and take no BS, and dogs are desperate for approval. I’m naturally a dog (yes, I know how that sounds!) and I’d like to incorporate just enough cat-ishness that I’m taken seriously and dare to accomplish my dreams in all walks of life, without coming across as aloof or cold!
- Sew a Big 4 pattern each season. In 6 years of sewing, I’ve only sewn two Big 4 patterns… one became a TNT, and one was an oversized waste of fabric! I’d like to give them a better chance, so I’m aiming to make at least 4 over the year. I’m all ears for suggestions on great patterns that I might like, and how to pick the right sizing! I’ll do a whole post on that at some point, because it’s a huge topic.
- Learn about environmentally-responsible sewing. Confession: having a pile of “maybe I’ll use this for kids clothes someday” scraps stresses me out, so I’ve gotten in the habit of throwing out all my scraps from every project. At the very least, I’d like to start donating them to H&M recycling. I’d also like to learn more about reducing my carbon footprint without letting go of the fast and prolific sewing that I love!
- Put my money where my mouth is. I’ve got a post about this coming up on the Sewcialists, and another one on my blog next week. In short, this year I want to support fabric stores and pattern companies that align with my ideals of an inclusive sewing community! I’ve become more outspoken this year about the way I think the sewing community should be, and it feels good… so watch out for more of that in 2018 too!
- Have fun! I think this is one of my goals almost every single year. This is the year where I don’t promise to make a quilt or a coat or whatever I think is supposed to be my next step. (Yes, I’m reneging on that #sewingdare!) I am going to sew what makes me happy.
My final goal for 2018 is that you enjoy reading this corner of the blogosphere, and you find it open, fun, and inspiring! I try to be honest, and not pretend I’m perfect at anything. Thank you to everyone who reads my blog and follows me on Instagram – I appreciate you all so much!
Thank you also to everyone to participated in the Top 5 this year – don’t forget to go check out the links to other people’s Top 5 here!