***PSST! The first Sewcialist theme month has been announced! Go check it out, and I hope you join in!***
There is lots of talk about how blogging is dying out… but I just don’t see it! Sure, blogs I follow taper out, but there are always new ones starting up!
And yet, there are inescapably some pressures related to blogging. I’m curious which ones affect you, and if we all feel the same (or totally different) challenges!
Here are some of the stress factors that I hear other bloggers talk about:
- not enough content (I think this is especially challenging if you only post finished projects – I find it helps to have blog series and chatty discussion posts like this to round things out!)
- taking pictures (Maybe my Better Picture Project series can help you out!)
- growing a community (My best advice is join in sewing challenges like The Sewcialists, so that you’ll make friends with other bloggers and get mentioned in the round-ups!)
- finding your niche (Or am I the only one who struggled with this? I started as a craft blog, people! It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what to focus on here.)
- hate writing (Maybe you are meant to be a vlogger or do Instagram stories?)
- intimidated (We talked about that here!)
- keeping to a schedule (This was always a factor at the Curvy Sewing Collective, where posts go live every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!)
- life is busy (I have no solutions for that, sorry!)
I’ve got two big stress factors in blogging: replying to comments promptly, and ended up with a backlog of posts!
In other words, it turns out I love writing. I’ve only come to that realisation recently, but clearly since I post about two posts a week for 5 years, I’ve got things to say! (And bless you for reading my ramblings. I feel lucky every time I post that anyone is paying attention!)
My challenge is that by time I get home at the end of a workday, I’m not always in the right headspace to thoughtfully reply to comments. I really admire bloggers who keep up with their comment section though – when someone takes time from their day to write you you, it’s the least you can do, right? But I leave it one night, then two, then I imagine you guys getting a notification that I’ve responded three days later and thinking, “What did I even comment about in the first place?” I really to try to reply to everything, but sometimes I just get stressed and I let a blog post go. Is that… ok?
My other stress factor is the one bugging me right now: TOO MANY POSTS! I’ve almost always got one or two posts waiting in the wings (plus skeleton outlines for blog series posts, just in case). Because of Me-Made May though, I ended up with at least 5 posts written and waiting… and even with two posts a week, by time I post them, I’ll have even more posts ready! (Of course, I could do three posts a week, but somehow that throws off my mojo, and besides, it seems a little selfish to inundate you with my projects!)
Now, I apologise if this all sounds like humble-bragging (“Oh, woe is me, I have ideas and some followers!”) but these are honestly the stress factors that I find myself obsessing over regularly! So, keep me company, please: Tell me what stresses you out about blogging (or any other social media) and how you manage it!