My motivation to blog and sewcialise about MMM is nowhere to be found this year! I’ve been dutifully taking pictures every day, because I love having them to refer back to year after year. But for the first time, I’m not participating on Flickr or IG. I’m hoping the mojo will come back once we move this Friday!
Nonetheless, I have been thinking about my Me-Made wardrobe, and learned a few new things about myself in the process!
- When the weather is bad or I’m feeling low, I put on dark, uninspiring outfits. Why do I do this? Wouldn’t something bright perk me up for the day? I’m experimenting to see if I can change my mood with brighter clothes.
- My colour palette is spot on – partly. Turns out my spring wardrobe contains very little red or grey, which are in my palette… but I think those colours get worn more in fall and winter. Black really should be in my palette because it turns out I wear it often… but only as a part of a print. I don’t find black and inspiring colour, so I think I’ll leave it off!
Now on to the clothes! I’ve organised outfits by theme, not chronologically…
Turquoise is my favourite colour to wear. I ALWAYS feel pretty in a bright turquoise! Also, turns out I wear a lot of blue.
Pink is my other favourite colour to wear. I always feel sassy in pink! It is definitely a neutral in my wardrobe. (By the way, my Cone Mills Gingers jeans have been worth every penny of the $70 the fabric cost. Amazing recovery, and stay looking good day after day, unlike the other Gingers I’m wearing in the centre photo…)
Mission Maxi tank, altered RTW pants // Jalie raglan tee, Ginger Jeans // Hemlock tee, Ginger Jeans
These are my “I feel crappy so I’m going to dress boringly” outfits. May 1st was cold and rainy, and I put on the black tank, forgetting all about MMM… and then almost went and changed but decided to keep it real. Almost no me-mades, not one of my colour palette colours! Lame. I do sometimes enjoy dressing in costume as someone else, and this outfit feels like a different version of Gillian. The two tops on the left and middle are just fine, but a bit too monochromatic to make my heart sing. They do get worn regularly though…
These outfits are also not faourites, but for different reasons. I usually love wearing this maxi, but it was cold and rainy and I put on first one, then another green sweater that I never wear. If I’d worn this with coral and turquoise like I usually do, I think I’d like the outfit more. In the middle is today’s outfit – I almost really like it, but the top is a bit pastel, and the light turquoise RTW capris I was wearing kept falling down. Finally, the stripe-and-floral outfit was almost much more boring – I first put on the top with blue Gingers, but then I decided to spice it up to see if my day improved. I felt good in the outfit, except the pants are a smidge small and awkwardly cropped, so my hairy winter ankles were on display!
My favourite outfits! Proof that wearing a rainbow makes me happiest. My blog name is no joke!
Shout outs to a few wardrobe staples:
- Ginger jeans. True love forever!
- Scarves. For when you aren’t wearing enough colours already.
- Espresso leggings. In every shade possible.
- Me-made bras and underwear under every outfit.
- My favourite three-strand beaded necklace, which I own in pink, blue, and turquoise! Can you spot all three in my outfits?
I think my take-away is that I have plenty of clothes that I love, and some that I just like. I’m motivated to level-up my wardrobe by really focusing on multi-coloured prints that I will feel happy to wear! I’ll have a couple days of grotty moving clothes coming up (aka. older me-mades), but I hope the last week of May I can really focus on wearing all my favourite clothes every day!
How’s your MMM going? Enjoying it? Bored of watching those of us participating? Or somewhere in the middle, like me?