I have rather an absurd amount of me-made clothing these days… so much that even things I really like are only getting worn one a month! So instead, I thought I’d spend a little time on my lounging-at-home clothing and pjs.
Right now, my home clothes are an odd assortment of colours and fabrics – often things I’ve made out of fabric I don’t love, or things that have been worn half to death! In the immortal words of Robert Munsch, “Ugly, ugly, very ugly!” My goal is to use some of my stash fabric to make things I wouldn’t mind being seen in by neighbours or family. (What a high bar, right? :P) I tend to only sleep in a tank top or jersey nightdress, but I also wear hoodies, leggings and long pants to lounge around the house.
This is totally nitpicking here… but what bothers me about my pjs (now that I’ve started thinking about it) is that things don’t match. Case in point, this hoodie and ponte pjs pants I sewed up in December:
Is anything wrong with them? No. Do they match? NO! I dream of feeling more put-together than this. (Right now I’m wearing this same hoodie over a faded red/purple/yellow tank-dress. It is not cute.) The waistband on these pants is also messed up, so I need to recut and resew it…
So here’s my plan:
- Throw out anything old, stretched out, ugly or uncomfortable.
- Lay out my existing lounge clothes (2x scuba leggings, 3x hoodies, 3x ponte pants) and figure out what tank tops they need to make them feel like a coordinating set. Check my stash and local sales for the right fabrics.
- Use stash fabric to sew up some Mission Maxi tank tops and tank dresses for actually sleeping in!
You can see I’ve really got two colour stories here: blue and pink. That’s pretty much what my whole wardrobe looks like!
I’ve got some questions I’m hoping you can help me with, though:
- The royal blue stripe and pink floral on black are quite stretchy ponte, like the floral pants above. Do you think the fabric would work as a tank dress, or not?
- I’d like to put shelf-bras in the tank tops, but I can’t decide what kind of elastic to use. Would FOE work and be comfy, or should I buy the lingerie elastic that is fuzzy on one side?
Thanks! And tell me, what are your pjs like? Do you have any favourite patterns or styles?