This topic has me stumped – and I came up with it! Looking back on my year, I’m not sure exactly what I’ve accomplished… but it’s been a good year none the less. So perhaps instead of specific events or accomplishments, I’ll write instead about what I”m grateful for, and what are the brightest points of my day-to-day life.
1. It has to be, of course, my husband. My favourite person in the world, my rock and my partner in all things. I don’t know how I got this lucky, but he makes my life better each and every day. Thank you, babe!
(ps. Thank you also for the coverstitch which I know is waiting for me under the tree! You enable a girl like no one else!)
2. My cats. How did I get to be a crazy cat lady so fast? We got out first cat, Clay, last November, and adopted our second this summer. Clay is most definitely Jamie’s cat, and Frank is most definitely mine! He’s at my feet right now, giving me a hate stare and purring with love. I love cats for being disdainful assholes who still want to cuddle constantly. I know at least half of you are cat ladies too, so I’m sure you understand!
(I made this Ms. W “mini-me” puppet in 2007 when i was training to be a teacher…)
3. My job. I’m grateful to be working (7 years into my career I’m still not a permanent employee), and I’m grateful that my students make me laugh and smile every day! This is the most demanding year I’ve had professionally, but it hasn’t pulled me under yet, and I’m proud of that!
4. My family. They are awesome and supportive – and thanks to them we now have a second car AND a dishwasher! I’m living the life of luxury!
(Jamie and I in 2009 in Japan, during our first year of dating!)
5. A sense of progress. I’m nowhere near where I thought I’d be by 32… no house, no kids, no permanent job, no nest egg (truth be told, I only want 3/4 of those things…) but I can see progress each and every year towards our goals. Each year since I met Jamie has been happier and more settled. It’s nice to look back on the way things would have been a few years ago and think, “Yeah, we’re kicking some ass now!”
That turned out a little maudlin (mental note – don’t watch a sad movie before blogging!) but I hope you don’t mind! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season, and are ready to take 2015 by storm!