I’ve always been fascinated by how people read blogs. Do they follow 5 blogs, or 500? Do they comment on every post, or rarely? Do they skim through posts on a blog reader, get email updates, or check blogs every so often for new posts? It’s such a mystery!
I got thinking about this last night when i was ready a Sewing Survey post where Sherri, the blog author, confessed that she felt overwhelmed sometimes by trying to keep up on the 38 blogs she follows… and the survey respondent who followed the most blogs follows 120 blogs.
**insert screeching car brake sounds here**
Whaaaaaa????? I follow about 500 blogs, and I guess I assumed everyone else did too! I turned to twitter, where Sewcialists admitted to following anywhere from 6 blogs avidly to skimming about 1000 blogs.
So now I’m curious, and I’d love to hear from you in the comments!
- How many blogs do you follow?
- Do you read everything or skim some/most?
- Do you use a blog reader, email subscription, or actually go to the website?
- Approximately how many blogs do you comment on regularly?
Here are my answers:
- I follow about 500 blogs.
- I skip anything about food or sewing for kids… I skim plenty… and I carefully read posts by anyone I’ve met IRL, talk to often on Twitter, or who sews in a style like me.
- I use Feedly on my phone or computer, and I love it!
- I probably leave about 10 comments a week? Mostly, again, for people I’ve met or feel close with. I admire people who comment more, but it stresses me out when I think of it as an obligation or duty.
How about you?