Oh hai! Apparently MMM really knocked me on my ass, because I’ve taken a surprise 3 weeks break from blogging AND sewing! It’s report-card season for us teachers, plus the end of the year exhaustion and getting sick… blah blah blah! Enough of that. Bring on the sewing!
My first Hummingbird! I’m a total Sewing Cake fangirl, so of course I’m joining in on the sewalong for the new skirt and top.
I used a nice, drapey cotton or rayon knit for my wearable muslin, figuring that I could mess up the fit and the print would hide all my sewing sins! Added bonus – it’s the kind of knit that doesn’t need hemming! (Seriously, I have no intention of ever hemming a peplum like this! So much easier to choose a fabric that won’t roll or unravel!)
Speaking of fitting sins… I second-guessed my measurements, and ended up with a loose waistband. I’m going to wash it once to see if that affects anything, then I’ll probably take in the side seams. I just don’t want to mess with my peplum if I don’t have to! 🙂
As is, it’s super comfy, but has none of the hourglassy properties that a peplum should offer!
All in all, I’m quite pleased! Here are the alterations I made/will make next time:
- Used a 40 front and a 35 back.
- Used the 30 peplum with about 1cm of length added.
- Did Steph’s neckline binding strategy, where one shoulder if left open. I thought I’d hate it, but it worked nicely!
- Used 18” length, but then had to take out 1” off.
- Added 1cm to the sleeves so I could do a simple fold-over and stitch… but I think they are a bit long, so I may make the next one into more of a cap sleeve.
- Leila from Three Dresses Project has convinced me that I need a forward shoulder adjustment, so I’ll try that on my next version!
This weekend I’m hoping for lots of sewing time – including another Hummingbird top and a crack at the skirt! I’ve also got some rather amazing presents lately from Sewcialists, which I can’t wait to blog about now that I’m back in the game!
Happy sewing, everyone!